Friday, July 23, 2010

No One Lost a Limb - 4th of July Success Story!

So maybe Donnie is right...I do need medication. No, not for putting up with his nonsense, but for being the morbid mother that I am! I used to LOVE 4th of July fireworks when I was younger. Those of you who went to our wedding in White Deer know that it is a time-honored tradition for the town to gather into a small circle and shoot fireworks at each other each year, so I should be used to the hazards that might befall my own children on the 4th, right? WRONG! I will say that AFTER having children, I HATE the 4th of July. I can't keep the running diatribe out of my head that quizzes me over and over..."What if the firecracker goes off in her hand? Her eye? What if she accidentally burns her sister with the punk? What would I do if a firework was coming straight for them? What if she trips and falls on top of the firework she is lighting?" I KNOW! INSANE, RIGHT? I can't help it! There are so many freakish accidents that can occur on the 4th! Needless to say, for most of our 4th activities, I said silent prayers to God to protect my babies...over, and over again!

Now that I can write this post without having to report any injuries or loss of appendages, I guess I can report that we all had a great time shooting fireworks with my father-in-law, Marlon, Jeri Kate and Aunt McCaleb. We gathered at one of Marlon's friend's barn outside of the city limits. Marlon is like a big kid when it comes to the 4th, so he practically bought an entire fireworks stand for McCaleb and the girls. Only one minor incident nearly spoiled the fun, but luckily, I'm married to a guy who can sprint, because a series of "engineered" artillery shells fell over and nearly took off Sydni's head. Donnie scooped her up as soon as he saw the tubes holding the shelves falling over, and sprinted her behind the cars before the shells hit. Yeah....4th of July is DEFINITELY not my favorite holiday now!!! ;)

Daddy and Makki...I still thought 4yrs old was too young to be lighting her own fireworks, but Dad didn't agree.
McCaleb is a PRO at lighting fireworks!
Marlon supervises the crazies as they light their MANY fireworks.
Awe, my sweet Doodle!
Donnie enjoys lighting fireworks as much as the girls do!

No comments: