Friday, October 10, 2008

Twilight - Your assignment is to read it this weekend!


TWILIGHT
The New York Times Best-Seller by Stephenie Meyer!


I have become a dealer of sorts at my middle school, and I would like to peddle my product to my friends, too. I'm not the illegal kind of dealer, but a dealer of books. I bought 30 copies of Twilight for my classroom after reading it during Christmas break last year, and have been passing them out to my students, friends, and family ever since. Yes, I'm a Reading teacher, and yes, I love to read, but this book has kids who would NEVER read, well, reading. That is what makes Twilight truly unique in my eyes, because most "normal" people do not understand how difficult it is to keep the average thirteen year old interested for more than ten minutes in ANYTHING, let alone a 500 page book. This book has me so excited, because I finally have a product I can push to my kids that I know they will love. Everyone loves to read, they just don't know it until they actually find something that they LIKE reading. So if you hate to read, and think I'm full of poo-poo, just hear me out.
My girls latched on to Twilight first, because there is a nice romantic plot line, but I've built a steady following of boys. Mainly because I've assigned them to read it, but I know all I have to do is get them through the first twenty pages and they will keep reading without me having to do much. I brought it to a male student of mine who was put into ISS three days ago. (Yes, that is how I punish my kiddos that end up in the middle school pokey - I make them read good books! Ha!) He finished it TODAY, and asked for the sequel to start reading. I knew Twilight was good, but I was still a bit shocked when my tough, rebel-without-a-cause kiddo was asking for the other 500 page sequel to the 1st book that was also well over 500 pages! This kid has NEVER MET his Accelerated Reader goal since he's been at our school and he read this book, took the test (making a perfect score) and wanted to start the 500+ page sequel without me initiating any of it. All I have to do is introduce them to the first book, and they quickly read the next three in the the series. Their is a huge waiting list for the Twilight series at our school library, so many parents have been buying the sets for their kids, and do you know what is happening? The parents are reading the books too, and loving them! I've been flabbergasted at how many PARENTS are telling me how much they love the series.
I'm not going to tell you much about the plot line, because it tends to turn people off and they curl their lips (much like I did the first time I heard about Twilight), but trust me, it's not what you are expecting. In a nutshell, Bella Swan moves to the rainy town of Forks, Washington where she meets Edward Cullen and his family. Bella is immediately attracted to Edward, and who wouldn't be...Stephenie Meyer (the author) does an incredible job describing the young lad. Yowza! Edward and his family are all incredibly beautiful, pale, and ethereal in their grace and charm. After spending time with Edward she quickly discovers his family secret....he and the other Cullens are vampires! Eeeek! Before you say, "Lenzi, vampires are not my thing, thank you very much!" Just hear me out. The love story is amazing without being crude or unrealistic (go figure!) and the action is what has lured my boys into turning the pages. There is an insane amount of action in this book. It is soon to be a movie (November 21st) and I can't wait to see how the many action scenes in the book play out on the movie screen. If it has been a long time since you've picked a book up, give it a try. Copies are only $8.99 at Walmart, Target and of course, Barnes and Noble....or you can come by and get one from me for free to use! I've started a massive fan club, and I want you to join!!!



1 comment:

Emily said...

I have enjoyed reading so much lately, so I will definitely try that book. I am reading Remember Me right now, but after I am done with that, I will try Twilight. Thanks!!!